Monday, February 23, 2015

This Month at ONU - March

                                                          This Month at ONU - March

March 5, 1972 – Ground breaking ceremony for Tilton Hall of Law

Pres. Samuel Meyer

March 8, 1838 – H.S. Lehr born

Lehr as a student at Mt. Union

March 12, 1986 – Dedication of Renovated Presser Hall

Snyder Recital Hall in Renovated Presser - Formerly Willis Auditorium
March 13, 1866 – Lehr arrives in Johnstown

Ada Prior to Lehr's Arrival
March 16, 1923 – Polar bear adopted as Northern’s mascot

Mascot Interpretation - 1923 Yearbook
March 19, 1941 – Sharp drop in enrollment reported due to army enlistments and positions for
                                undergrads in defense industries.

March 22, 1963 – Ground broken for McIntosh Center (cafeteria section opened earlier)

Mid - March 2014 – Campus hit by a late season blizzard

Week Before

Later that Week - From 3rd Floor of Heterick - Looking S.W.

March 28, 1958 – ONU accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary

Pres. McIntosh (Center) Waving Joyously

March 31. 1995 – Freeman Annex, Dukes Building dedicated
Freeman Relatives at Dedication

This Month at ONU - February

Feb. 1, 1889 – Housewarming for Dr. Lehr’s new house (on site of Stambaugh Hall)

Feb. 2, 1973 – Meyer Hall of Science named in honor of President Emeritus Samuel L. Meyer –
                          Building dedicated on Oct. 3, 1970

Feb. 3, 1949 – Turner Hall burns

Feb. 4, 1941 – Pres. Williams analyzes foreign propaganda, foreseeing eventual peace offensive
                          by people of the Axis powers

Feb. 7, 1975 – King-Horn dedicated

Feb. 9, 2008 – Board of Trustees vote to approve the transition from quarter to semester

Feb. 14, 1968 – “Book brigade” moves collection from Presser to Heterick

Feb. 14, 1920 - The Alpha Eta chapter of Delta Sigma Phi was established at Ohio Northern 

                                                              Early House at 534 S. Main

Feb. 15, 1952 – ONU Trustees purchase old North School building for College of Engineering

Feb. 16, 1992 – Dedication of the Snyder Recital Hall

Feb. 20, 1965 - The Zeta Kappa chapter of Theta Chi was installed in a ceremony held in
                            McIntosh Center.

Feb. 21, 1905 - The Ohio Alpha chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon was established at Ohio Northern.

                                              Original House on S. Gilbert - Now area between
                                                         Wilson Art. Bldg. and Presser Hall

Feb. 22, 1946 – Ada Armory student housing project received 100 new army beds, mattresses
                            and pillows in order to “accommodate returning servicemen.”

Feb. 26, 1972 – Biggs Engineering Bldg. dedicated

                                            Robert Biggs

Feb. 27, 1914 – Creation of a law library announced following resignation of Dean Axline whose
                            private collection had been used by the College of Law.


Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Mingle

Find that special someone to share Valentine's Day with in the pages of a book.

Come check out the dating profiles of a wide variety of fictional men and pick your favorite to share Valentine's Day with. Set up between the New and Popular books on the first floor of the library.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

New Books and DVDs: January 2015

All I want / Margaret Johnson
Frozen pizza and other slices of life / Antoinette Moses
Murder maker / Margaret Johnson
Berlin Express / Michael Austen
High life, low life / Alan Battersby
Introduction to partial differential equations / Peter J. Olver
A survival guide for stage managers : a practical step-by-step handbook to stage management / Mary Ellen Allison
Models for quantifying risk / Robin J. Cunningham, Ph. D Thomas N. Herzog, Ph. D. ASA, Richard L. London, FSA
Selma to Saigon : the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War / Daniel S. Lucks
Deadly harvest / Carolyn Walker
Emergency murder / Janet McGiffin
Logic & reading review for the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT / [logic review, Edward J. Rozmiarek ; reading review, Jo Norris Palmore]
Writing skills for the GRE and GMAT tests / Mark Alan Stewart

Friday, January 30, 2015

New Books and DVDs: December 2014


All the light we cannot see : a novel / Anthony Doerr
Art and architecture of viceregal Latin America, 1521-1821 / Kelly Donahue-Wallace
Assessment essentials : planning, implementing, and improving assessment in higher education / Trudy W. Banta, Catherine A. Palomba
Blockbuster drugs : the rise and fall of the pharmaceutical industry / Jie Jack Li
The book of unknown Americans / Cristina Henríquez

Cholera : a worldwide history / S.L. Kotar and J.E. Gessler
A chosen exile : a history of racial passing in American life / Allyson Hobbs
Conceptual physics / written and illustrated by Paul G. Hewitt, City College of San Francisco
Grothendieck-Serre correspondence / editors, Pierre Colmez, Jean-Pierre Serre ; translated by Catriona Maclean with the assistance of Leila Schneps, Jean-Pierre Serre
Crimes of the future : theory and its global reproduction / Jean-Michel Raba

The Dead Sea scrolls study edition / edited by Florentino García Martínez & Eibert J.C. TigchelaarDeep-sky video astronomy / by Steve Massey, Steve Quirk
L'éloquence du silence : dramaturgie du non-dit sur la scène théâtrale des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles / sous la direction d'Hélène Bilis et Jennifer Tamas

Essai sur les moeurs et l'esprit des nations. VII, chapitres 163-176 / Voltaire ; edited by Bruno Bernard, John RenwickEthics in science : ethical misconduct in scientific research / John D'Angelo
A fighting chance / Elizabeth Warren
Fortress commentary on the Bible. The New Testament / Margaret Aymer, Cynthia Briggs Kittredge, David A. Sánchez, editors
Fortress commentary on the Bible. The Old Testament and Apocrypha / Gale A. Yee, Hugh R. Page Jr., Matthew J.M. Coomber, editors
A guide to writing as an engineer / David Beer, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, David McMurrey, Austin Community College
Hidden riches : a sourcebook for the comparative study of the Hebrew Bible and ancient Near East / Christopher B. Hay
Imperial identities : stereotyping, prejudice, and race in colonial Algeria / Patricia M.E. Lorcin ; foreword by Hugh Roberts
Interpreting the Ancien Régime : David Bien / edited by Rafe Blaufarb, Michael S. Christofferson and Darrin M. McMahon ; preface by Keith Baker
An introduction to music technology / Dan Hosken, California State University, Northridge
Introduction to nuclear concepts for engineers / Robert M. Mayo
An introduction to thermal physics / Daniel V. Schroeder
The invisible history of the human race : how DNA and history shape our identities and our futures / Christine Kenneally
Keywords in composition studies / edited by Paul Heilker, Peter Vandenberg

Left to tell : discovering God amidst the Rwandan holocaust / Immaculée Ilibagiza with Steve Erwin
The library instruction cookbook / [edited] by Ryan L. Sittler and Douglas Cook
The linguistic cycle : language change and the language faculty / Elly van Gelderen
Making the grade : the aspiring actuary's guidebook to consistent exam success and advancement in the workplace / Nicholas Mocciolo
Midnight in Siberia : a train journey into the heart of Russia / David Greene
The militant song movement in Latin America : Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina / edited by Pablo Vila
National rhythms, African roots : the deep history of Latin American popular dance / John Charles Chasteen
The nature and origin of language / Denis Bouchard
No place to hide : Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. surveillance state / Glenn Greenwald
The Oxford handbook of the Dead Sea Scrolls / edited by Timothy H. Lim and John J. Collins
The Oxford History of English / edited by Lynda Mugglestone
Penser l'Europe au XVIIIe siècle : commerce, civilisation, empire / edité par Antoine Lilti et Céline Spector
Physics for scientists and engineers / Raymond A. Serway, Emeritus, James Madison University, John W. Jewett, Jr., Emeritus, California State Polytechnic, University, Pomona ; with contributions from Vahé Peroomian, University of California at Los Angeles
Physics of radio-frequency plasmas / Pascal Chabert, CNRS, Nicholas Braithwaite, the Open University
Poetic heroes : literary commemorations of warriors and warrior culture in the early biblical world / Mark S. Smith
Portraiture and politics in Revolutionary France / Amy Freund
Principles of plasma discharges and materials processing / Michael A. Lieberman, Allan J. Lichtenberg
Revival : a novel / Stephen King
Social and economic life in Second Temple Judea / Samuel L. Adams

Theatrical legitimation : allegories of genius in seventeenth-century England and France / Timothy Murray
Twentieth century design : a decade-by-decade exploration of graphic style / Tony Seddon

Monday, January 5, 2015

This Month at ONU - January

Jan. 5, 2005 – Ice storm forces university to close. Classes resumes on the 11th.

Jan. 6, 1928 – Ground breaking in Spring for Presser Hall announced

Jan. 6, 1941 – University Restaurant, formerly in basement of Brown Hall, opened in the Terrace

Jan. 7, 1883 – Robert Hynton Heterick, namesake of HML, born

Jan. 11. 1929 – Franklin Hall converted to a classroom

Jan. 11, 1968 – Dr. Martin Luther King spoke in Taft Gym

                                                       Text and recording of the speech

Jan. 13, 1977 – Dr. Ray B. Loeschner inaugurated as ONU’s eighth president

Jan. 15, 1931 – Theta Phi Sorority organized

Jan. 17, 1931 – Xi Beta Chi sorority announced

Jan. 19, 2008 – Dedication of Helen Spar Ludwig Women’s Intercollegiate Locker Room

Jan. 19, 1931 – Phi Chi sorority started

Jan. 24-27, 1978 – Ohio hit by Great Blizzard of 1978 – classes called off

Jan. 29, 1923 – H.S. Lehr dies at his home in Ada

Monday, December 1, 2014

This Month at ONU
December 1, 1979 – Dr. Debow Freed became 9th president of ONU
December 11, 1861 – Simeon D. Fess, ONU faculty member, Pres. of Antioch College and U.S. 
                                        Senator born

December 12, 1851 – Frederick Maglott, trustee and early faculty member born

Dec. 18, 1931-  Issue of Ada Herald announces that Smith-era ban on dances has been lifted –    
                            at least for informal affairs at fraternities and sororities
December 23, 1889 – first fire in Hill Bldg. – then called “The Administration Bldg.”
Dec. 27, 1929 – Dr. Robert Williams of Albion College elected president of ONU


Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dr. Frederick Martin Ernsberger Display
A display on Dr. Fred. M. Ernsberger, an Ada native and ONU alumnus,  is in the main display case on the library's first floor. During his student days at Northern (1938 – 1941), Fred majored in chemistry and participated in a variety of clubs. 

After graduation, he enrolled at Ohio State University and was pursuing a PhD. Degree in Physical Chemistry at the outbreak of WWII. He joined the Manhattan Project’s work at Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
For more information on his long and eventful career, please view the cases outside the Music Media Lab.